Tuesday 3 January 2012

Stephen Lawrence, RIP



OK, I haven't written a post for, ooh, three months. SORRY!!! New job, new life, etc etc.

But today I am moved to write because it's a historic day: Gary Dobson and David Norris were found guilty by a jury at the Old Bailey today of the murder of Stephen Lawrence. I cried...because when it first happened it seemed like his murderers would get away with it, and the crime was part of a depressing climate of ignorance and racial hatred in Britain. This case has been dragging on for 18 years, and finally the Lawrence family have justice.

I felt for the jury. I've been on a jury and you feel the weight of the responsibility of a guilty verdict. It took a lot of courage for them to make that verdict. A serious, but positive start to 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment